Levitra is a type of prescription medicine which is taken for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. The medicine used for the brand name of Levitra is Vardenafil which is a class medicine of PDE5 inhibitors. Initially, there were three pharmaceutical companies named Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline, and Schering-Plough to market Vardenafil. This Vardenafil is sold in different names such as Levitra and Vivanza.
Table of contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 How Levitra Works
- 3 When to Take Levitra
- 4 Do Additional Things with Taking Levitra
- 5 Dosage of Levitra for Effective Erection
- 6 Who Should NOT Take These Pills
- 7 What Should You Let Your Doctor Know Before Taking This
- 8 The Known Side Effects of Levitra
- 9 Conclusion
As the erectile dysfunction is found in many men mainly over 40 years of age, Levitra along with some other medicines is being used as the solution to this problem. Different types and intensity of erectile dysfunction may happen with men which can be treated with these pills. Levitra cannot and should not be used as an arousal agent. It can be used to get and maintain an erection and sustain that when you become sexually aroused yourself.
So this pill cannot sexually arouse you, but it can work for penis erection and ensuring that the person who consumes Levitra gets a natural, healthy erection when he becomes aroused.
How Levitra Works
You might be curious about how this works, and here is how it actually works. To understand the functionality of Levitra, it is better to know about how erections happens in your penis.
Your penis has two chambers named Corpora Cavernosa (plural) which start from the head of your penis and end at the pelvis. There are spongy tissues which remain inside the chambers. These tissues can hold blood which causes the erection and maintains the intensity of the erection.
Normally, your penis remains in a placid state, but when you become sexually aroused whether physically or mentally, your brain starts sending signals. These signals are transmitted through cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP).
During the arousal state, blood enters into the chambers more than it can come out. So there starts a ‘blood trapping situation’. This cycle of blood circulation can maintain your erection. Levitra works on the blood flow into your penis.
When to Take Levitra
There might be two answers of this as it indicates both the necessity of taking Levitra and timeline of taking it. We will answer both of these.
When Do You Need to Take The Pills?
As Levitra works as a solution to your erectile dysfunction, you should take Levitra when such dysfunction appears to your penis. But make sure that you take it only after it being prescribed by your doctor. So it is always recommended that you first consult with a doctor before going for Levitra.
Timeline of Taking Levitra
Levitra usually works within 30 minutes of ingestion, so you should take the pill one or two hours before the moment you intend to partake in sexual activity. You should not take more than one Levitra pill per day that means in every 24 hours; you can at best take a piece of a tablet to start out.
Do Additional Things with Taking Levitra
There are some things which you can practice in order to get the result of Levitra more effectively.
Set the right mood for sex: The environment is very important in order to have a better sexual experience. So you should create a better atmosphere for sex that will help to enhance the mood. Talk to your partner as well as mix your choice of surrounding to make the environment sex friendly. You can use candlelight or dim the lights which can make you and your partner more passionate while having sex.
Indulge in foreplay: This is important to make sex more enjoyable. Arouse your partner and also, tell your partner to get you aroused by kissing and other forms of stimulation. Foreplay is linked to setting the mood too and goes a long way in bringing couples together while also making sure that the persons involved are naturally aroused. This state of arousal is perfect when accompanied with Levitra.
Go Slow: Never be too hasty to complete your sex. Always allow proper time to enjoy sex before you use your erect penis. This will help you and your partner reach full sexual arousal.
Eat Well: Eating junk food is harmful both for your health as well as for the workings of levitra. Taking healthy food can make Levitra work faster. But if you take oily food while taking Levitra, it may work less effectively or take more time to be effective.
Dosage of Levitra for Effective Erection
Levitra is an orange colored and round shaped pill that weighs 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 mg. The initial dose may be 10 mg of Levitra which should be taken orally. The maximum dose is 20 mg and the lowest dose is 5 mg. The dose actually depends on the patient’s requirement. Levitra can be taken with food. You can also take it without food. 2.5 mg is not found in most of the places of the world as it is rarely prescribed.
Patients of over 65 years may be prescribed lower doses. If anyone has liver problems, he is also given a lower dose of Levitra. Patients having prostate problems are also given a lower dose.
Who Should NOT Take These Pills
You should not take the pills if you:
- Are taking medicine called “nitrates”. A heart disease symptom called Angina is treated with nitrate. Nitrates are found in poppers which are recreational drugs. You should double check whether the medicines that you are using have nitrates or not. To be confirmed, ask your healthcare provider about the medicine that you are using.
- Are taking Riociguat which is a guanylate cyclase stimulator. This type of medicine is used for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension as well as chronic-thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
- Have experienced a heart attack or happen to have a weak heart and for that, you are told not to have sex. Sex can put pressure on your heart if you have heart related problems. There are some heart diseases where your doctor may recommend you to stay away from having sex. You cannot use Levitra during these types of situation.
- Have an allergy to Vardenafil which is the active ingredient in Levitra. If you are allergic to any ingredient that is used in Levitra, you should not use it then.
- Have high blood pressure that is out of control. So all men having uncontrolled high blood pressure, should not take Levitra.
- Are using other medicines for treating your erectile dysfunction.
- Are going to take Levitra without prescription from your doctor.
What Should You Let Your Doctor Know Before Taking This
It is important that you take these pills only after having been prescribed to take it by a doctor. Make sure that your medical health provider knows your medical history. You should let your doctor know before taking Levitra if you:
- Have heart related diseases like heart failure, angina, and irregular heartbeats. If you have had a heart attack earlier, you must ask your doctor whether it is risk free to take the pills.
- Have uncontrollable high blood pressure or have blood pressure that is low.
- Are diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension.
- Experienced a stroke and/or seizure.
- Are experiencing a liver problem.
- Are diagnosed with kidney problems that are needed dialysis.
- Have an eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa or non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION).
- Have long QT heart condition.
- Have had vision loss.
- Have ulcers in the stomach.
- The penis has not been formed well.
- Erection stayed for more than 4 hours (priapism).
- Are diagnosed with blood cell problems called multiple myelomas, sickle cell anemia or leukemia.
- Hearing is weak.
- Are an alpha-blockers user.
- Use medicines that are used for treating abnormal heartbeat.
The Known Side Effects of Levitra
There are some of the side effects that can be traced for using these pills. So far flushing, runny or stuffy nose, headache, upset stomach, indigestion, dizziness, and back pain are said to be the most common types of side effects that were caused by taking Levitra. Though these types of side effects do not stay for long, if you feel that you are not being well after a few hours, then you should let your doctor know about it.
Odd time may come when an erection of your penis lasts for more than 4 hours. This state is called priapism and if this happens to you, you must consult with your doctor for treating this as early as possible because this may damage your penis’ erection forever.
You may have difficulties in distinguishing between blue and green because of using the pills. Your color vision may be changed and affected as a side effect of Levitra. You might see a blue tinge to your objects. You can also experience a sudden loss or decrease of vision. This can happen in one or both of the eyes.
There might be sudden loss or decrease of hearing. The reasons for losing or decreasing vision or hearing have not been identified though you should stop taking Levitra along with any other PDE5 inhibitors if you experience these types of side effects.
It is important that you have a general idea about Levitra prior to taking it actively. Also ensure that you keep your doctor informed in case you happen to experience any of the side effects mentioned here.
You might also want to check out this article on the different types of erectile dysfunction pills.
http://www.levitra.com/ http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232995.php http://www.coloplastmenshealth.com/learn-more/erectile-dysfunction/how-does-an-erection-occur/ http://www.drugs.com/dosage/levitra.html